03 June 2019 - 4 minute read
You may have noticed that the site looks a little different now. I've spent the
last few days redesigning it to look tidier and more consistent. It has a bit
more information on it, I've rewritten a few of the paragraphs on the home and
category pages, and hopefully the whole site will be easier for me to maintain.
In this post I'm going to run through the most notable changes.
The most obvious one to see will be the lack of the bright blue borders. The
site was originally made to look very much like my rice on my laptop, where my
terminals have that blue border when focused. However, it was a bit strong on
every box on the site, so I've tidied those away. It's also made it reasonable
to add whole box breaks in the middle of posts, which is very nice as it means I
can more easily break up posts into more manageable chunks rather than you
getting presented with this giant pillar of text.

I have changed the title on the home page. It now features some pretty ASCII art
text that looks wonderful on Lynx when compared to the plain text that it used
to show. I hope to have some much more impressive ASCII art made for the site
eventually though to show both the site logo and title.

The home and RSS links are now present at both the top and bottom of every
page, meaning there's no longer the need for scrolling back up to the top to go
back to the home page in the event you forget the back button exists - though I
don't blame you for that as most websites nowadays are wonderfully good at
completely breaking it. Each post now has the date of publishing and an
estimated reading time at the top too. The reading time is taken by counting the
number of lines of text (ignoring headings and lines with single characters like
'}' in code blocks), and then multiplying the total by 5 seconds, dividing by 60
to get minutes, then rounding to the nearest integer. It's by no means accurate,
but I think it meets some mid-point between skimmers and readers that might stop
and think, follow links, or be reading whilst doing other things.

On the home and category pages, posts are now separated into separate blocks for
each year, with intermediate headings for each month. The exact date is no
longer present by each post, but it can still be found on the post itself. This
means these lists of posts look tidier and more organised.

Links to posts now have a directory per day and I have changed the formatting of
post file names. This will unfortunately break all links I have shared
previously to posts, but the new style is noticably tidier. Here are a couple of



The new style is briefer and contains fewer special characters and also removes
the capical letter that used to stick out a bit considering every other part of
every URL was all lower case.
Other smaller changes that shouldn't affect much are that I've fixed a lot of
the line breaks so now the 80 character width is used more effectively, and I'm
using actual header tags for hearders rather than paragraph tags. The whole site
displays noticably better on Lynx now and it's very nice to read on it.

That covers about everything I've changed. In the future, I may look into
simplifying things further by writing scripts for instance that can take much
simpler plain text for posts and fit it into a template, meaning I can write the
posts much more quickly and need to spend far less time making sure all the
formatting is right because the script will do that all automatically.


Copyright Oliver Ayre 2019. Site licensed under the GNU Affero General Public
Licence version 3 (AGPLv3).